In honor of my son’s first Halloween, I thought it would only be right for me to hand make his first costume. I also talked my husband into dressing up as a family. Our theme is one of my all time favorite movies- How To Train Your Dragon!
I finished Grayson’s costume first- so I HAD to share it because it is literally TO DIE FOR!
Below is a complete DIY tutorial including all of the materials needed, how to’s, and some extra photo cuteness.
Let me know what you think below in the comments! Enjoy!
- Black hooded bodysuit (I used this one)
- 1 yard black felt
- 1 piece of green felt
- 1 piece of red felt
- Hot glue gun
- Black thread
- Safety pins
- Paint brushes
- Black fabric paint
- White fabric paint
HOW TO MAKE TOOTHLESS COSTUME:
This is what I did to make this costume. I had no idea what I was doing, so I’m sure there are much easier ways around what I did.
Ps- this was all hand sewn so it is nowhere near perfect but I am absolutely in love with the turnout.
- On the black felt- start off by tracing out the large top wings the preferred size based off of the bodysuit you are using, the smaller wings below, the tail and the bottom wing on the end of the tail- cut each section into two identical pieces.
- Using the red felt- cut equal sized shape to match the wing on the end of the tail. (I just cut using the black wing as an outline).
- Cut spike shapes for down the back and tail. (I folded the felt in half and cut out rounded off shapes for my spikes).
- Cut your velcro to measure down the back size of the large wings (I measured two pieces, one down each side of the back).
*Make sure you use your safety pins to keep the two pieces of fabric together evenly*
- Sew the fuzzy side of the velcro on one piece of the large wing and the rough side to the back of the bodysuit.
- Sew the two large wings half way together on the top- with the Velcro side out. That will be the back side of your wings.
- Sew the lower wing pieces together.
- Sew the top part of tail together.
- Using the spike pieces, sew them down the spine of the top side of the tail and the large wings- only sewing the center of the spike down.
- Sew the lower wings onto the bottom layer of the tail.
- Sew the bottom wing onto the right side of the tail and the red wing onto the left side of the tail.
- Sew the tail shut.
- Sew the tail to the back side of the center of the large wings.
- Sew the wings together.
- Hot glue the spikes and fold each side together to get them to stand up.
THE WINGS ARE COMPLETE!
- Using the green felt, cut out the eyes.
- Using the black felt, cut out pupil of eyes.
- Hot glue the black onto the green.
- Hot glue the eyes onto the hood of the bodysuit.
- Using the black felt- cut out two ears, two smaller spikes, and four whisker type spikes (two for each side of the head)
- Safety pin each piece in the appropriate spot and sew the center of the fabric down.
- Hot glue each side of the piece down to make them stand up.
PAINTINGON THE DETAILS:
- Using the white fabric paint- paint the skull onto the red portion of the tail. (I traced an outline and cut out a stencil).
- Using the black fabric paint- paint on the scales and nose onto the bodysuit. (The black paint that I used didn’t show up well for me, so I mixed in some metallic silver. I suggest using a matte black or a metallic black to get the detailing to show.